Saturday 17 November 2012

Goodbyes

I hate goodbyes.

Okay, perhaps "hate" is too strong a word. I dread goodbyes, especially when I know that it will be a very long time before I see that individual again. It is one thing to say goodbye when you will see someone again in twenty minutes or a week. It is completely different when you know that this person is going halfway across the globe and you may never see them again... I have had to do this before, but it doesn't get easier.

Our team, Harcourt, me, Maureen, and Jess
This week, I have to drive my friend and teammate, Harcourt, to the airport. I have known for nearly a month that this impending goodbye was coming, but knowing this, never makes it easier.

Harcourt is finally going home.

I keep telling myself this because I know that it is time for him to go home. However, my mind always goes to the next thought, which is that I have never lived on the farm or known a time in the last year in which Harcourt was not here. Life will certainly be different.

 Don't misinterpret what I am saying, Harcourt is a dear friend and a fantastic big brother. I will miss his advice, his words from the Lord, his praying, and his kind spirit.

I am also learning that apart of this life that I have chosen is saying goodbye. It is meeting people who I come to love and having to part ways. It also, often, means that I have to live with the reality that I may never get to see them again in this life.

I do trust that his friendship will always be a part of my life. And I thank God that he came to the farm so that Jess and I could get to know him better.





No comments:

Post a Comment